Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales

James Lindsell diary, 21 April 1917-15 June 1918
MLMSS 7991/Item 3

[Transcriber’s note: Sgt. James C. Lindsell was a Machine Gunner in the 14th Machine Gun Coy., A.I.F. This, his third, diary commences in England but only for 2 days before he leaves Folkestone for Boulogne on 24 April 1917. He then moved on to the area around Albert and Bapaume and joined the 14th Machine Gun Coy at Ligny Thilloy. The men moved to the Front Line on 8th May and he describes the intense fighting in which he was involved until he was injured and returned by train to Boulogne where he was admitted to hospital. He returned to his unit on 15th June and was involved in some training before they were moved to Ypres. Once again there was heavy fighting which he describes, also the casualties which occurred in the area around Westhoek Ridge. While here he was badly injured in the chest, was carried out by stretcher and then put on a train for Etaples where he was hospitalised. When he had recovered sufficiently he left hospital in early December, went from Calais to Dover and then to the Sholden Lodge Auxiliary Hospital at Deal in Kent. After leave in February 1918, he boarded the Dunvegan Castle on 13th March to return home via South Africa, where he spent nearly six weeks before continuing his journey on the Tofua. He arrived in Sydney about the middle of June. ]

[Page 2]
Reported wounded Anzac Bulletin.
List 196 dated Oct. 20-1917

Diary of No. 1502, Sergeant James C. Lindsell
14th M.G. Coy

From April 21st 1917 to 1918

Private Diary
Grantham Lines

April 21
Warned for Draft.

April 23
Draft moves off from Camp at 10 p.m.
Entrained at 11.45 p.m. The boys from our mess gave us a dandy send off, a large hamper & plenty of Beer.

April 24
Detrained at Folkestone Pier at 6.30 a.m.
Were billetted in town & had breakfast & lunch. Embarked at 1 p.m. for Boulonge [Boulogne] reaching it 1 hour later.

[Page 3]
Disembarked & marched to Rest Camp.
Had a hell of a time with the men, getting blankets & rations.

April 25, Wed.
Marched, with full pack from Boulogne to Camiers. Went into tents dead beat after the 14 mile march.

April 26, Thur.
Marches to Etaples for rifles, Bayonets, steel hats, & gas helmets. Went through gas chamber. One man got rather badly gassed.
After dinner fired stoppages on 25 yd. range.

April 27, Fri.
Parades all day & kit inspection. Another draft from Perham Downs marched in. Put them into tents.

April 28, Sat.
Marched Perham Downs draft to Etaples & back.
Had afternoon off. Later second draft from Grantham came in.

April 29, Sun.
Had a bath parade, then a walk to the beach.

[Page 4]
April 30, Mon.
Warned for the line in real earnest, issued w/- iron rations, amtn. etc.

April May 1, Tues.
Weather very hot. Altered draft from a small one of returned men to large one of reinforcements about 300.

May 2, Wed.
Windy, still standing by.

May 3, Thurs.

May 5th, Sat.
Drew 48 hrs. rations and proceeded by rail to "Albert". Saw the famous hanging statue of the Madonna & child on Albert Cath. Stayed in rest camp all night.

May 6th, Sun.
Marched to a village near Bapaume viz:- "Ligney Thilloy" [Ligny Thilloy] where we joined the 14th M.G.C., received a hearty welcome from officers & men.

[Page 5]
Several of the officers are old friends of mine. The village consists of a farmhouse & a large heap of Bricks.

May 8th, Tuesday
Started at 9 p.m. for the Front line. After a strenuous march we reached our positions near Bullecourt. Mine was with a Gun in a strong position, one of the forward positions on the Hindenburg Line. Heavy shelling all night.

Wed. 9th
Still in Trenches

Thur. 10th
Still in Trenches

Friday 11th
Fritz started shelling at 6 p.m. & kept it up until 6 a.m. on 12th, in all, a 12 hour bombardment.
The Huns evidently intended making an attack but our division (5th) took the job out of their hands, hopped over the top at 4 a.m., succeeded after 3 attempts to take trenches & over 300 prisoners. We stood by our gun all night despite the heavy shell fire & only I got a crack on my tin hat.

[Page 6]
Saturday 12th May
Wounded & prisoners started passing our position at about 5 a.m. The whole operation was a success but at an awful cost.
Some Battalions have hardly an officer left. Altogether it was one of the worst stunts this year.
We buried a cove out of the 7th Bn. who had been lying in front of our posy & stinking awful.

Sunday 13th May
Fritz bombarded all day & nearly all night w/- shrapnel & 5/9’s. Had a thunder storm during night & a heavy fall of rain.

Monday 14th
Bombarded us all morning w/- whiz bangs. The shelling increased in ferocity during the afternoon making it impossible to have a decent meal.
The early part of the night was a little better, but at 4 a.m. the Hun

[Page 7]
started firing every gun he could bring to bear to cover a tremendous counter attack. The air was practically full of flying iron, there was no space between the shells bursting, as soon as one had burst another took its place.
At about 5 a.m. it reached its worst & our Coy. was losing one gun after another. At 5.30 I stood up for a minute to have a look at the position & was just sitting back when a fragment of shell struck my "tin ‘at" punched a hole in it & then stuck into my head where it is at present.

Tues. 15th
Made my way to Coy. H.Q. & reported to my officer, then went to the dressing Stn., after seeing the Doctor went back to H.Q. & had a drop of whiskey which I was very much in need of.

[Page 8]
About 7 o’clock I started for the clearing Stn.
Went from there by motor to Bapaume where we spent the night.

Wed. 16th
At 9 a.m. we were put aboard the hosp. train, made a very slow passage to Boulogne where we were carried by motor to No. 3 Canadian Gen. Hosp.

Thur. 17th
After a good sleep woke up feeling real good & Hungry.
After breakfast the doctor had a look at us & we had our hurts dressed.
The weather is perishingly cold again.

Fri. 18th
Still resting. Cut now almost O.K. again.

Sat. 19th
Same again, getting restless & want to get out.

[Page 9]
Sun. 20th
Beautiful day. It is an awful pity to be shut up in Hosp.
Doc. not satisfied with my head yet.

Mon. 21st
The M.O. operated on my head this morning & removed a piece of steel helmet. *

*Unfortunately lost during Ypres offensive, Sept. 1917. J.C.L.

Tues. 11th
Making very satisfactory progress.

Wed. 23rd
Still doing O.K. expect to get out in a couple of day.
Another man died of wds. in the ward this morning.

Thur. 24th
Discharged from Hosp. to No. 7 Con. Camp.

[Page 10]
Fri. 25th May
Spent day in camp.

Sat. 26th
Went into Boulogne at 2.30 p.m.
Fine town but not as good as Marseille.

Sun. 27
In camp.

Mon. 28
In Camp.

Tues. 29
Leave to Boulogne.

Wed. 30
Leave to Boulogne, saw the American medical unit arrive. Climbed to top of Grand Army Column.
Marked out.

Fri. 1st June
Marched out of No. 7 Con. Camp to Base Details & went to town.

Sat. 2nd June
Went out i/c of big fatigue party to Rue Constantine Bks., Boulogne.

Sun. 3rd June
Same as yesterday.

[Page 11]
Mon. & Tues. 4 & 5 June
Same job.

Wednesday 6th June
Warned for Base.

Thurs. 7th June
Marched out & went by train to Dannes, Camiers.

Friday 8th June
Examined by M.O. (3 days L.D.).

Mon. 11th June
Met two Sgts. from our Coy. down on course of Inst. Had quite a celebration. (The Coy. suffered terribly at Bullecourt.)

Thurs. 14th June
Warned again for line draft.

From June 15th
Returned to unit by way of Achiet-le-Grand, Albert & Becourt, found ‘em at Warloy-Baillon.
Had a good time there practising for a competition (which, by the way, never came off). Aug. 17, J.C.L.
Went from Warloy to Mailley [Mailly]

[Page 12]
for field training. It is quite close to where all the big fights took place in 1916, Delville Wd., The Sugar factory * & several other famous fights.
We did some day & night manoeuvers but not much good in my opinion.
We returned from Mailley to the town of Contay.

* Contal Maison [Contalmaison] & Beaumont-Hamel.

We did very little in Contay except gun work. We put in several hours per day on mechanical work & also spent the time in training 40 men. We got from the Bde., our reinfor. not coming to light quickly enough.
From Contay we went north by rail to a town called Arques

[Page 13]
& marched from there to the village of Ebblingham [Ebblinghem] a distance of about 14 kilos. We were billetted in three farms, 3 sections & the officers in one, 1 Section in another & the Sgts. in a third. Well we had a great time for about six weeks, with the exception of three days. We had to go some distance away to do field firing & classification. My section was an easy winner in the classification tests having all but 2 passed 1st class gunners.
On our return to the farms we had a great spread & lived like lords, plenty of everything, eggs, milk, butter, apples, champagne vin Blanc, etc.

[Page 14]
Porridge w/- plenty of milk & Ham & Eggs or Poached eggs on toast or omelette for Breakfast every morning, oh lor! it breaks my poor old heart when I think of what we had to leave.
Well, as all good things must come to an end so our great holiday finished one fine day at noon.
The Bde. Captain rode up to our O.C. & asked if he could be ready to move in two hours & if so the motor Buses would be at the farm at 2 p.m.
These Buses carted us to a spot just outside Ypres, "Belgian Battery Corner" or "Chateau Belge".

[Page 15]
We were issued w/- Bivouac tents, 1 per 6 men & shown a spot where to pitch camp.
The second night we were paraded w/- rifles & amtn. We marched through Ypres out on to the Menin Road as far as Birr X Rds., then went across country to a spot about half way between Neil House & Westhoek Ridge.
We sat down there for some time while our officers plotted our gun positions, where they were marked by pegs. We set to work to dig our gun pits according to instructions.
We had to make that trip four

[Page 16]
times under heavy shell fire, but were very lucky & had no casualties, but it was rather nerve wracking for the first two nights, after that we got used to it. Well, on the night of the 19th we took our guns & Belts with us & occupied the positions. We had 26 Belts (7100 Rds.) per gun ready filled & a reserve of 20,000 Rds. per gun in S.A.A. Boxes. Seven minutes after the Artillary Barrage opened next morning (20th) we opened fire on our first Barrage line, after that it was one wild excitement, the main trouble being to control the rate of fire, the boys wanted to fire far too quickly.
When we finished the barrage at about 9 a.m. we relieved alternate men for breakfast.

[Page 17]
We have a couple of small primus stoves to each section which means we can always have a warm drink. After breakfast we changed barrels & stood by for S.O.S. signs. Altogether we answered 4 S.O.S. calls during the next 24 hours.
We were withdrawn about 4 p.m. on the 21st, got back to camp dead tired & hungry. After a good feed of hot stew & a cup of tea we were ready for bed.
Next day was spent in cleaning the guns & putting things in order. We also had that night in bed, next day Nos. 1 & 2 sections were warned for the line to take part in the hop over on the 26th. We were given all the

[Page 18]
revolvers in the Coy. & carried no rifles, each gun team had to have 6 men including the N.C.O. i/c. All we were to carry was the Gun (42 lbs.), Tripod (48 lbs.) & the other 4 men had 4 belt Boxes each (84 lbs.) & a shovel, so we were pretty heavily laden. On reaching our destination that night we were told to store our gear in a captured "Pill Box" & then were guided back about 2 miles to some dugouts where were to stay till the night before the attack. Fritz shelled the whole area continuously and we never knew when or where the next shell would fall. We had to send one team to an isolated spot next day & unfortunately had two men & the officer wounded, the same day a splinter struck my other Sgt. in the

[Page 19]
back & we had to carry him away. All this was leaving us very short handed, which meant so much less amtn. with each gun.
On the night of the 25th we drew rations & water & proceeded back to our gun store. There the whole attack was explained to the gun commanders & we were given maps of the ground over which we were to move. At about 3 a.m. we got out our gear & started to move forward to the front line.
Shells were dropping occasionally but did no damage. We were detailed off to the officers with whom we were to co-operate. I had to go with the 55th Bn. to the final objective. Sharp at 5.50 a.m. the

[Page 20]
Artillary Barrage opened up & a couple of minutes later the infantry started forward in Artillary formation. I saw several men hit just as we started. After that there were very few casualties. We were advancing at the rate of about 100 yds. in 4 mins. which enabled us to have frequent spells & drop our heavy loads for a couple of minutes, that is the only thing that enabled us to keep going.
When we reached the first objective we had to wait there an hour while the guns smashed Fritz a bit more. When the hour was up we started forward again for another 800. Then we started to dig in, while

[Page 21]
some parties went forward to clear out a "Pill Box" & a couple of broken down houses in front of us. We got a good yield of prisoners all dead frightened.
But there must have been some concealed snipers missed because quite a number of men were being knocked while standing about.
We had just decided on a position for our gun on a bit of high ground behind the new front line so that we could fire over the heads of the Infantry & cover their retirement should they be forced back at all. While the boys were getting the hole ready I turned round to look at the tripod when

[Page 22]
the sniper got me, hit me a clean knock out in the chest, a nice clean little hole in front & a great big one where it came out behind, bleeding like a pump at every breath. I had to lay still for a couple of mins., then they got my equipment & clothing off & found the bullet had entered my left breast & come out at the back, the exit hole was bleeding profusely but they did their best to staunch it, gave me a drink & one of them went for the Stretcher Bearers. After some trouble he found a party & brought them along. They bandaged me more carefully & put me on the stretcher. From then on for about an hour & a half

[Page 23]
they carried me over hills & hollows, round shell holes & god knows what. The shaking almost drove me crazy w/- pain, but could not complain. It was very hard work even for 4 of them. On reaching a dressing stn. the doctor had a look at it and bandaged it carefully & sent me on to the motors about a mile further on. The trip in the motor was even worse than the bearers, theirs was a slow swing, the motor was a succession of violent jerks which nearly shook the remainder of my life out. After a long trip through Ypres we reached the C.C.S. in Poperinge. I was immediately put to bed, my clothes taken away to be burnt, they were all covered in mud & Blood. That same afternoon

[Page 24]
I was operated on & properly stitched up. For the next four days I did not do too bad & was marked fit to go down to the base Hosp. On the afternoon of the 30th I was put aboard the Hosp. train & carted down country to Etaples, where we were taken to No. 24 Gen. Hosp. where I have been ever since.

This is now the 22nd of Oct, I had some ups & downs & at present seem as far off getting to Blighty as when I arrived.

Nov. 12th
Am making some definite progress at last, temperature is down & am feeling real good.

Nov. 18th
Still going strong, marked improvement this week so am hoping for the Best.

[Page 25]
Nov. 26th
Still going on O.K., am feeling well. Looking well & am well. Hope to get away shortly.

Dec. 2nd
Left Hosp. 7.30 a.m., A.T. to Calais, got on board ship same day.

De. 3rd
Too rough to cross, slept well, plenty to eat.

Dec. 4th
Moved out at 9.30, arrived Dover 10.50, A.T. again, taken to Aux. Hosp. at Sholden Lodge, Deal, Kent. Very good home.

Dec. 5th
Lovely weather, cold. Feeling very well & want to get up. Wrote letters.

From Dec. 5th I made good progress until Dec. 16th when I had to be opened up again on account of a collection of puss.

[Page 26]
About the 20th I was allowed out of bed. From then until now (Jan. 10th) I have been getting steadily stronger. I am able to take fair walks without undue fatigue. Have received letters from home and am feeling at peace with the world.

On 12/1/18 was sent to Military Hosp. at Shorncliffe (Sandgate). Spent several slow & rather miserable days waiting to be sent to the Aust. Base Hosp. for a medical board.

16-1-18 arrived in No. 3 A.A.H. at Dartford, examined by M.O. & marked for Board.

Jan. 25th
Board marked me C2 & am now waiting to see the Major.
On leaving Dartford I proceeded to No. 2 Command depot at Weymouth.
Went on Furlough from 14-2-18 to 1-3-18

[Page 27]
Went to London & Edinburgh, had a good time but was glad to get back.

March 13th
Left Upwey Jnct. for Plymouth & embarked on H.M.S. Dunvegan Castle same day.

March 14th
Pulled out into stream to await completion of convoy.

March 15th
High wind & choppy sea, issued w/- Red X kit.

March 16th
Sailed at 5 p.m. Large convoy & escort.
Passed Eddystone Lighthouse at 6 p.m., ship rolling a bit.

March 17th
Found this morning that we have missed the remainder. Later were picked up by Destroyer & Balloon. Caught up in

[Page 28]
the afternoon.

March 18th
Naval escort & several ships left us during the night, we are now only 4 Ships & an Aux. Cruiser.

March 19th
Heavey swell on & ship is rolling awful making reading, writing & eating a misery to say nothing of mal-de-mer.

March 20th to 26th
Splendid weather. Have been receiving very bad news per wireless re enemy advance. Not much doing on board. Convoy keeping well together & improving speed, now about 12 Knots.

March 28th
Saw land just before breakfast & made Freetown (Sierra Leone) about 10 a.m.
Had some fun &

[Page 29]
plenty of fruit from the native "Bum boats", very hot & sultry. The town is small but prettily situated at the foot of some fine hills.

March 19th
Pulled out at 5 p.m. & continued our so far very pleasant trip.

April 1st
Ships fired big guns. One S.A. boy effected by firing.

April 3rd
South African died.

April 4th
Dead man buried at 9.30 a.m.

April 5th
Am Orderly Sgt.

April 11th
Saw the Southern X for the first time. Sighted 4 ships to N. at 6 p.m. Lost them at dusk.

[Page 30]
April 12th Friday
Sighted Table Mt. very early – made the bay about 10 a.m., berthed & disembarked the Springboks.
After dinner we disembarked & went by train to a Rest Camp at Sea Point. Went into Cape Town in the evening.

April 13th Sat.
Went into Town & had a good look round Cape Town. Find it very pleasant.

April 14th Sunday
Went to dinner w/- Mr. & Mrs. Alton & had a fine afternoon & evening. The people cannot do enough for us.

Ap. 15 & 16
Spent in Camp fixing up tents, Sgts. Mess etc. Weather pleasant but threatening rain.
All men from Qld., S.A. & W.A. went off on Monday to Durban.

[Page 31]
Apr. 17th Wed.
I went on my own to Tea w/- Alton’s & spent a very happy evening with much talk & music.

Apr. 18th Thur.
A bunch of us visited the United Tobbacco Co’s works in the morning & had an interesting couple of hours. Went to free entertainment in the Tivoli after dinner.

Friday, 19th Apr.
Had a bust up in the mess. A lot of men are drunk in Camp.
Went to Pictures after tea.

Sat. 20th Apr. to 1st May
Things going easy. I go frequently to Alton’s & am having a real good time.

[Page 32]
May 7th Tues.
Grand Concert by Aussies in City Hall.
Have been going all over the country seeing everything worth looking at.
Went one day w/- large party to town of Stellenboseh & had a fine time.

Sun. 19th May
Orders to pack up.

May 20th Monday
Embarked on TSS Tofua.

May 21st Tue.
Pulled out at dawn & sailed about 11 a.m., very rough & stormy.

May 22 & 23, Wed., Thur.
Still very rough & rolling, tucker & quarters pretty good.

[Page 33]
Friday, May 24th

June 7th
Sighted land 11 a.m. Picked up Fremantle Pilot at 1 p.m., berthed about 2 p.m.
After tea Perth Ladies came on board w/- fruit & cake for us & we had a great feed.
Pulled out about 9 p.m., sea very rough.

June 13th
Arrived Port Melbourne about midnight. Disembarked from "Tofua" & reembarked on "Suevic" same morning, 14th June. Sailed at noon. Beautiful weather.

June 15th
Weather continues "Bon".
We are getting quite excited.

[Page 34]
Anzac M.G. Base Depot
A.P.O. – S/8
Dannes Camiers

Brennan, 13th Bn.

Bluey wants to see Snowy in the Barracks.

Troop Ship
Sydney to Pinkenba
Pinkenba to Thursday Is.
Thursday Is. to Colombo
Colombo to Suez

Suez to Cairo
Cairo to Alexandria

Alexandria to Lemnos Is.
Lemnos Is. to Imbros Is.
Imbros Is. to Anzac (G.P.)

Anzac (G.P.) to Suvla Bay

Suvla Bay to Imbros Is.
Imbros Is. to Alexandria

Alexandria to Cairo

Cairo to Tel-el-Kebir
Tel-el-Kebir to Ismalieh [Ismailia]
Ismalieh to Tel-el-Kebir
Tel-el-Kebir to Alexandria

Alexandria to Marseille

Marseille to Le Havre

[Page 35]
August 1st 1916
April 23rd 1917
Le Havre to Southampton
Southampton to Tidworth
Tidworth to London
London to Grantham
Grantham to Folkestone

April 24th 1917
May 17th 1917
Folkstone to Boulogne
Boulogne to Camiers
Camiers to Etaples
Etaples to Albert
Albert to Bapaume
Bapaume to Bullecourt
Bullecourt to Bapaume
Bapaume to Boulogne

Boulogne to Achiet-le-Grand
Achiet-le-Grand to Albert
Albert to Becourt
Becourt to Warloy
Warloy to Mailly
Mailly to contay

5th Dec. 1914
Jan to Dec. 1915
Jan. to Dec. 1916
Jan to May 1917

James C. Luntfull

14th [indecipherable] Coy.

[Page 36]
Contay to Arques
Contay to Ebblingham
Ebblingham to Ypres
Ypres to Polygon Wood
Polygon Wood to Poperinge
Poperinge to Etaples
Etaples to Calais
Calais to Dover
Dover to Deal (Kent)
Deal to Shorncliffe
Shorncliffe to Dartford
Dartford to Weymouth
Weymouth to Plymouth
Plymouth to Freetown
Freetown to Cape Town
Cape Town to Fremantle
Fremantle to Melbourne
Melbourne to Sydney

[Drawing with the following caption.]
Kaiser Bill’s last hope.

[Page 37]
[Drawings with the following captions]
Fritz’s Hope
Huntley & Palmer’s No. 9
Bully Beef
German Gas Mask

[Drawing with the following caption.]
Men of the 1922 Class
Called up to form the new orphans Battalion.

[Page 38]
[Drawing with the following caption]
Steel Helmet worn by German Troops.

[Page 39]
Nov. 1917
No. 24 Gen. Hosp.
From the woman who waits with a wistful smile to the man in the listening post.
From the war worn workers at bench & lathe, to the watch dogs round the coast.
All are as one in the work in hand – Christian, Mohamedan, Jew.
List to the message that fills the land – "Britain will see it through".

[Page 40]
Capt. Carey of U.S.S. Co’s "Moana" died about 2 yrs. ago, 1916.

19269 L.
July 1917
General Reinforcements


Pte. A. Thorpe 41090, 4th Worcesters.

24 G.H.
Miss Todd, V.A.D.
Sister Lloyd-Edwards

19269 Pte. C.F. Lindsell
A.A.M.C. Details


Sister Wright
Warden House
Hosp. Deal


[Page 41]
Mrs. M. Turner
30 Swinegate

Sister J. Lloyd-Edwards
"Ty Draw"
Llanllyfni Penygroes
Nth. Wales


W. Eley
Wyoming Estate

723 Sgt. Turner, W.H.
86 Havelock Street
West Perth
Western Australia

L. Boyack, 102 Chamberlain St., Woodstock, C.T.

P. Alton
No. 2 Glen Tanner Villas
Blackheath Rd.,
Sea Point

[Page 42]

From Sydney to Suez
From Alexandria to Anzac
From Anzac to Alex
From Alex to Marseille
From Le Havre to Sth. Hampton [Southampton]
From Folkestone to Boulogne
From Calais to Dover
From Plymouth to Cape Town
From Cape Town to Melbourne
From Melbourne to Sydney

Troop & Hosp. Ships

T "Seang Choon’ – 1915
T "Asmanieh" – 1915
H "Gloucester Castle" - 1915
T "Franconia" – 1916
T "Queen" – 1916
T "Queen Alex" – 1917
H "Stadt Antwerpen" - 1917
HC "Dunvegan Castle" - 1018
T "Tofua" – 1918
T "Suevic" – 1918

10 Ships

[Page 43]
Nominal Roll No. 2 Platoon

No. – Rank – Name – Remks.

3033 – Pt. – Garvin, W.J. – Q.M. Stores
5344 – Pt. – Brewer, B.V. – C.Q.M. Stores
2558 – Pt. - Ahrenfeld, R. – C.Q.M. Stores
2556 – Pt. - Euring, J. – P.
3381 – Pt. - Kornfeld, R.L. – P.
1624 – Pt. – Bundy, A.A. – P.
461 – Pt. – Duncanson, N. – E.
1893, Pt. Currie, R.J., In Hospital
1451 – Pt. – Lincoln, C. – G.
959 – Cpl. – Bolton, J.
1100 – Cpl. – Cheers, J.H. – G.
1917 – Cpl. – Fitzpatrick – E.
778 – L/C – Westward, H.J. – Sanitry Fat.
18699 – Pt. – MacKenzie, R. – E.
18646 – Pte. – Corbett, T.J. – Y.M.C.A.
1570 – Pte. – Middlemass, F. – Sanitary Fat.

[Page 44]
7 to 12 tents

31163, Pt. Lewis, P.W.
8937 – L/C – Jones, R.M. – Batman
1711 – L/C – Brennan, W.H. – F.
1872 – L/C – Baldwyn, C.H. – P.
4571 – L/C – Corne, P. – F P
1710 – L/C – Gregory, A. – F P
4769 – L/C – Ellery, W.C.
3602 – L/C – Blackburn, H. – P
1285 – Cpl. – Ball, G.A.
5787 – Pt. – Bryant, W.A.A. – In Hosp.
6709 – L/C – Bannister, H.C. – F
6524 – Pt. – Butler, A.B. – P
5062 – Dr. – Chappell, P.A. – P
1857 – Gr. – Cameron, J. – F
6239 – Pt. – Carroll, M.H. – P
789 – Pt. - Carroll, W.B. – F
3513 – Pt. - Campbell, J.W.W. – S
636 – Pt. – Crossland, W.W.G.
4671 – Pt. – Coshe, V.E.
5794 – Pt. – Coleman, C.H. – P
149 – Gr. – Cooper, G.A. – S
25576 – Dr. – Curtis, R. – P
2885 – L/C – Cusack, D.A.
5572 – Pt. – Dance, J.E. – S F
123 – Dr. – Denby, C. – P
1392 – Cpl. – Drinkwater, W.A. – G
6359 – Sig. – Markroff – P
5883 – Pt. – Medina, A.E. – P
3168 – Pt. – Mondy, J. – P
542 – L/C – Macklin, W.
892 – Pt. – Mortyn, T.P.M. – Batman
4229 – Pt. – Rounsvell, F.J.G. – G
3119 – Pt. – Walden, M.C. – Canteen
4248 – Pt. – Waterhouse, A. – p
Sgt. Nash
Sgt. O’Meara

[Page 45]
Argus Office
4 p.m.

Orderly Office
7.30 a.m., Breakfast
7 a.m., sick parade
10 a.m., Sweepers
10.30 a.m., Inspection
12, Rations & Cookhouse
4 p.m., Sick & Tea.

[Page 46]
[Various sums and amounts of money on this page not transcribed.]

[Page 47]
Sgt. C. Heaven
Fire Station
Michael St.
Brunswick, Vic.

Sgt. E.E. Mann
18 Victoria St.
Elsternwick, Vic.

Sgt. Jack F. Miscamble
69 Manningtree Rd.
Hawthorn, Melb., Vic.

A.P. Callan
C/- Mrs. Frank Murphy
Cliveden Mansions
East Melbourne, Vic.

A.A. Birkensleigh
Bairnsdale P.O.

[Page 48]
[Drawing with the following caption.]
Our Friend The Enemy

[Page 49]

[Page 50]
Orderly Sgts. Cps.

A. Sgt. Duncan
B. Cpl. Bergen

2 men & N.C.O. for Papers, officers baths & Cookhouse

Apl. Mar.
Clear all newspapers out of latrine & use sanitary paper. Officers latrines.

1 N.C.O. & 6 men permanent fatigue for Picking up papers in & around wire entanglements.

[Page 51]
Wood removed to Cook houses Offrs. Sgts., Sgt. Barnfriar

1 white bag
2 flannel shirts
1 cotton shirt
1 singlet
1 pr. underpants
1 Towel
2 pr. socks (wool) 1 pr. Pyjamas


[Page 52]

[Transcriber's note: Perham Downs – Army camp near Salisbury, Wiltshire

[Transcribed by Judy Gimbert for the State Library of New South Wales]